Re: A Layered Kernel: Proposal

From: Mike Fedyk
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 14:26:38 EST

Grigor Gatchev wrote:
I don't see the need for starting a project.

First, if unsuccssful, no reason to start it. And if successful, it will
fork the kernel development, with all negative implications following.
I see no sense in doing what eventually will damage the kernel
development, instead of improving it.

If you start a project, that doesn't mean the "fork" is bad as long as the intention is to integrate the work back into the base.

What you are asking for is for people to add to their list of things to code. You should be adding code yourself.

Second, the development of the kernel is already going this way,
regardless of our discussion. This is its logic. You can see no use of the
discussion, but you cannot see no use in following the kernel development
logic.

Linux has many groups of people pushing and pulling it in numerous directions. Very rarely does a direction succeed if the people who want that specific direction don't submit code.

Useful discussion would be asking for implementation suggestions to get to your goal. Oh wait, I think there are already some of those in this thread.

Mike