Re: [ANNOUNCE] new driver for teletext decoder SAA5246A

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 16:43:44 EST

linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Geng) wrote:

> No, it doesn't shrink. I already tested that when I developed
> the driver with saa5249.c as a template. Now I made a completely
> inline-free version, but /usr/bin/size shows exactly the same
> size. By the way, this shows that gcc does a good job. Of course
> this could also depend on the architecture, but on my Pentium 4
> box gcc really puts the inline parts inline.

Yup. I was suggesting remmoval of the `inline' keyword, rather than
actually moving the bodies of those functions into the caller.

I've previously seen significant code size reductions by _not_ inlining
large functions which had a single call site - just leave them as normal
out-of-line functions. So it worth experimenting with - pretty simple to
do. But if you're using a recent gcc it's probably inlining the function
even when it's not marked inline. Whatever.

> If you want to add the patch, how about the following changelog:
>
> [V4L]: Added new driver for Teletext decoder SAA5246A from Philips

Thanks.