Re: File system performance, hardware performance, ext3, 3ware RAID1, etc.

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 12:14:28 EST

Daniel Blueman wrote:
Tim,

Do you get the same numbers (but slightly higher, as this is will measure
from a smaller portion of outer zones) with:

# hdparm -t /dev/sda

?

I ran this test. This is a read test. What I did below was a write test.

Additionally, I ran this test:
time dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=1024

From that, I got 47 megs/sec. From 'hdparm -t /dev/sda', I got a slightly lower number.

So, for reads, I'm getting good performance. 47 megs/sec at the outer-most tracks is a bit lower than the 50+ that reviewers report, but it's not bad.

However, I don't get anywhere near the 40+ megs/sec the reviewers say the drive gets for writes. That model as a single drive in my wife's computer gets about 39 megs/sec, which is great. But behind the 3ware, the drive gets only 13 megs/sec. (iozone reports about 15 megs/sec, but that's influenced by caching in RAM, and iozone is writing to a file on tracks further out, I think.)

Adam Radford wrote:

Perhaps you are issuing non purely sequential IO. The card firmware

does

some reodering, but at some point it will cause performance degradation. Can

you

try kernel 2.6 w/xfs?

Not any time soon, but as I mentioned earlier, I measured 13.9 megs/sec when I ran this command:

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=1024k count=1024

No file system was involved; I was simply writing zeros to the block device (swap partition with swap off). It took 73.522 seconds to do the above operation. Also, I was running in single-user mode while doing the test.

Also, in my experience, the 'raw io' interface doesn't issue any
asynchronous IO. The
card _definately_ needs asynchronous IO posted to it or you will not get
good results
because you won't get all the drives busy.

With RAID1, both drives will be written with the same data. There is no need to be asynchronous, since it's all completely linear and sequential with large data blocks.