Re: psmouse.c, throwing 3 bytes away

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 23:21:28 EST

On Friday 06 February 2004 21:35, Jamie Lokier wrote:
>Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 05:24:27PM +0000, Murilo Pontes wrote:
>> > I try kernel with/without preempty/acpi/apic make all
>> > possibilities, then may be error is not in kernel, but in
>> > XFree86-4.3.0 which not support big changes in input system of
>> > 2.6.x, I tried compile XFree86 with linux-2.6.{0,1,2} kernel
>> > headers was 100% fail, sounds binary and source
>> > incompatibilites,
>>
>> Hey, guys, could you possibly try to figure out what your machines
>> have in common? I've switched all my computers to PS/2 mice so
>> that I have a bigger chance to reproduce the problem, but it is
>> not happening on any of them.
>
>Heh. I have a USB mouse and I see similar problems:
>
>Red Hat 9 (more or less), XFree86-4.3.0-2, kernel 2.6.0-test10, dual
>athlon, USB Logitech optical mouse, configured to read from
>/dev/input/mice (only!).
>
>Every few hours the mouse suddenly jumps to a corner of the screen
> and seems broken for a second or so. After that I can move it back
> to where it is useful.
>
>I never noticed such behaviour when running 2.4 on this box, nor
> when running earlier 2.6 kernels.
>
>There is nothing about "atkbd" or "mouse" or "lost synchronisation"
> in the kernel log.

FWIW, I do have those lines from atkbd, blamed on X in my logs as I
startx.

And, I have an occasional attack of spasticity in my mouse, on this
machine only (VIA 8233 chipset) since back in later 2.4 days. I've
even posted about it, but its not a *huge* problem, just a minor
aggravation. The exact same mouse model, and mouse cause I've traded
them (a pair of logitech usb optical wheel mice) has no trouble at
all on an old TYAN S-1590 mobo. ISTR its running some version of
2.4.20 yet, with lots of guard dogs, its my firewall.

>-- Jamie
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: