Performance issue with 2.6 md raid0

From: Mattias Wadenstein
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 10:24:23 EST

Greetings.

While testing a file server to store a couple of TB in resonably large
files (>1G), I noticed an odd performance behaviour with the md raid0 in a
pristine 2.6.2 kernel as compared to a 2.4.24 kernel.

When striping two md raid5:s, instead of going from about 160-200MB/s for
a single raid5 to 300M/s for the raid0 in 2.4.24, the 2.6.2 kernel gave
135M/s in single stream read performance.

The setup:
2 x 2.0 GHz Opteron 248, 4 gigs of ram (running 32-bit kernels)
2 x 8-port 3ware sata raid cards, acting as disk controllers (no hw raid)
16 x Maxtor 250-gig 7k2 rpm sata drives.
1 x system drive on onboard pata doing pretty much nothing.

The sata drives are configured in 2 8-disk md raid5s, not hw raid for
performance reasons, we get better numbers from the md driver in that case
than the hw raid on the card. Then I have created a raid0 of these two
raid5 devices.

I used jfs for these numbers, I have only seen minor differences in speed
in the single-stream case on this hardware though for different
filesystems I have tested (ext2, xfs, jfs, reiserfs). And the filesystem
numbers are reflected pretty close by doing a dd from /dev/md10. The same
goes for increasing the chunk-size to 4M instead of 32k, roughly the same
numbers. The system is not doing anything else.

The results (as meassured by bonnie++ -f -n0, all numbers in kB/s, all
numbers for a single stream[*]):
2.4.24, one of the raid5s: Write: 138273, Read: 212474
2.4.24, raid0 of two raid5s: Write: 215827, Read: 303388
2.6.2, one of the raid5s: Write: 159271, Read: 161327
2.6.2, raid0 of two raid5s: Write: 280691, Read: 134622

It is the last read value that really stands out.

Any ideas? Anything I should try? More info wanted?

Please Cc: me as I'm not a subscriber to this list.

[*]: For multiple streams, say a dozen or so readers, the aggregate
performance on the 2.6.2 raid0 went down to about 60MB/s, which is a bit
of a real performance problem for the intended use, I'd like to at least
saturate a single gigE interface and hopefully two with that many readers.

/Mattias Wadenstein