Re: VM patches (please review)

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 20:14:26 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Since this is broken down nicely, a line or two about what each patch does or doesn't address would be useful. In particular, having just gotten a working RSS I'm suspicious of the patch named vm-no-rss-limit being desirable ;-)

The bug with the RSS limit patch is that I forgot to
change the exec() code, so when init is exec()d it
gets an RSS limit of zero, which is inherited by all
its children --> always over the RSS limit, no page
aging, etc.

I need to find the cleanest way to add the inheriting
of RSS limit at exec time and send a patchlet for that
to akpm...

Thank you! I had assumed that the info was being carried through exec, fork, and pthread_* and similar, and just not enforced.

I still think this will be great for those applications known to occasionally get a tough data set and not converge or recurse beyond all sense.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc