Re: module-init-tools/udev and module auto-loading

From: Martin Schlemmer
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 14:14:42 EST

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 07:21, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:31:58AM +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > A quick question on module-init-tools/udev and module auto-loading ...
> > lets say I have a module called 'foo', that I want the kernel to
> > auto-load.
>
> Wait, stop right there. When do you want the module autoloaded?
>
> If you want it loaded when the device is plugged in, then great, the
> hotplug scripts will do that.
>
> If you want the module loaded when you try to access the /dev node, then
> see the FAQ about udev for that :)

Whoa, stop the horses :) I do not want to start another devfs/udev
argument 8)

As I said - this feature _does_ work of autoloading the module _if_
the device node and alias exists. If the node is deleted however it
does not. So this tells me there functionality is half way there,
and I was wondering if it could be completed without too much extra
overhead.

You can check the mail to Rusty for more what I mean (hopefully it
comes through correctly).

> > Then a distant related issue - anybody thought about dynamic major
> > numbers of 2.7/2.8 (?) and the 'alias char-major-<whatever>-* whatever'
> > type modprobe rules (as the whole fact of them being dynamic, will make
> > that alias type worthless ...)?
>
> Yes, it will make the char-major-* stuff worthless, however the distro
> I use has not used that style of alias for years, why would yours? :)
>
> Rusty had it correct in that you need to try to load for the type of
> module:
> alias eth1 tulip
> alias usb-controller usb-ohci
> and so on. That's the much better way.

Stupid question - is there a complete list of all these aliases?

Thanks,

--
Martin Schlemmer