Re: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip

From: Tomas Zvala
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 13:17:43 EST

Hi,
Just one more crazy idea ...
Have you thought about cooperating with some kind of commercial company? ie. SiS tried/is trying to create a 3D GPU without much success ... but they might be able to help manufacturing GPUs/Cards even in bigger series and as long as they dont have to invest too much in development and get some income i think they can do it. And as far as i know a lot of windows users would appreciate opensource graphics cores because of the advantages of opensource drivers. I would also say that there would be enough people interested in writing drivers for windows so your card could be generally very well marketable. I know this is not windows mailng list, but speaking of marketability of the core windows has the greates market share and having it working in windows too would mean that you are getting at production quotes big enough for reaching low prices. So why not "abuse" windows to get us a good GPU?

Tomas Zvala