Re: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip

From: John Bradford
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 12:24:27 EST

Quote from Timothy Miller <miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Alright then, how about this: Assuming opencores has a PCI interface
> and a DDR memory controller, I could write a CRT controller. We can put
> that into an FPGA and see what happens.

Well, there is a PCI to wishbone bridge:

http://www.opencores.org/projects/pci/

and a DDR memory controller:

http://www.opencores.org/projects/ddr_sdr/

but do we really need DDR RAM? For the small amount of RAM on the
card, (8 or 16 MB at the most), surely the cost of standard static ram
ICs wouldn't be too off-putting, and it would presumably simplify the
design slightly.

(It's you that's got to build it, though, so it's your call :-) ).

John.