Re: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 16:08:39 EST

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 12:02:06PM -0500, Timothy Miller wrote:

> Helge Hafting wrote:
>

> >I run X on an unaccelerated framebuffer (1280x1024 16bit color) every day.
>
> This is you. How many other people would be happy with this?

Depends on what they do, of course. It _is_ fine for 2D office work,
that surprised me quite a bit. I can even use mplayer and watch
videos on this.

Someone interested in quake will of course not be satisfied though.

> >So a good 2D card is trivial - a video signal generator and memory on an
> >AGP bus.
>
> I wouldn't call it 'good', but you're essentially correct. Mind you,
> you can get the latest S3 chip for $30 or less. That's well documented,
> a lot faster than a dumb framebuffer, and has VGA built in.
>
> Once you get below a certain level of performance in this open-source
> design, it's no longer worth doing because there are so many low-end
> alternatives that blow it away.

Good point. I had the impression you weren't going for the
best performance anyway.

> A BIOS ROM doesn't help you if you don't have a VGA core, and a VGA core
> is not a trivial piece of logic.
>
> I like Macs, Suns, and other UNIX workstations because they don't rely
> on this antiquated piece of logic to act as a console. The chip I
> designed doesn't do VGA, but that doesn't stop it from working nicely as
> a console in a Sun.

The pc doesn't need VGA anymore than a Sun does. A pc without any vga
runs the same stuff as the sun - various unixes and no legacy dos stuff.
Don't confuse "pc" with "msdos/windows". If the sun's software
selection satisfy you, then you're fine on a pc/x86 without vga (or other
legacy hw) too.

[...]
> My knowledge of 3D graphics is limited to linear algebra and mostly pure
> theory, but I do have SOME clue as to what existing 3D engines are like.
> The issue of general purpose CPU's versus GPU's has been discussed
> on the web at nauseum, and for what they do, modern GPU's are an order
> of magnitude faster than CPU's at what they do. And they're less expensive!

Seems the solution is to get one of those general purpose GPU's
instead, and build the card around that. Not entirely open hw,
but _fully documented_ with no hidden surprises.

Helge Hafting