Re: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 13:13:21 EST

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:

> You're not entirely correct here. I attempted to write a VGA BIOS for a
> card which did not have hardware support for 80x25 text.
>
> I first tried intercepting int 0x10. I quickly discovered that most DOS
> programs bypass int 0x10 and write directly to the display memory. As a
> result, very little of what should have displayed actually did.

Of course, but DOS is not BIOS and the assumption is we want to use the
adapter as a boot console and with Linux. The former is handled with
appropriate firmware and the latter with a driver.

Actually I had an opportunity to use a few PC/AT headless systems (no
video adapter at all, although one could be placed in a PCI slot) with an
option called "serial console redirection" in the firmware. Their BIOS
setup program proved to work just fine over a serial line (unfortunately a
VT100 terminal was assumed, so I had to type e.g. ^[OP to "press" <F1>,
but it worked) as well any console output, including LILO (which had to be
taught to use the regular console instead of accessing the serial port for
I/O directly).