Re: 2.6.2-rc2 Interactivity problems with SMP + HT

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 10:36:04 EST

On Friday 30 January 2004 02:25, Catalin BOIE wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Robert M. Hyatt wrote:
>> It might be some IDE disk I/O that results from flushing buffers
>> or whatever. I don't see this on my SCSI boxes, but I have seen
>> an IDE box get sluggish at times due to I/O.
>
>It is possible.
>vmstat shows a lot of writes when this happen.
>Seems that even reads hangs.
>I remember tat I was in pine and I tried to save a small file (under
> 1k) and it took 5-7 seconds to do it.

I'm having similar problems with kmail on the later kernels. Sometimes
it works just fine, and in the middle of typing a nessage it can get
laggy as hell, cursor motions with the arrow keys are down to 1 space
a second, and gkrellm is saying the user apps are at 100% cpu.
Screen redraws for a page up or page down might take 3 or 4 seconds.
Or it can get over it. (sometimes)

>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Nick Piggin
>>
>> wrote:

>> > There haven't been many scheduler changes there recently so
>> > maybe its something else.
>> >
>> > But you could try the latest -mm kernels. They have some
>> > Hyperthreading work in them (you need to enable
>> > CONFIG_SCHED_SMT).
>> >
>> > -
>> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
>> > linux-smp" in the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > More majordomo info at
>> > http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>
>> --
>> Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
>> hyatt@xxxxxxx University of Alabama at
>> Birmingham (205) 934-2213 136A Campbell Hall
>> (205) 934-5473 FAX Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
>
>---
>Catalin(ux) BOIE
>catab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: