crash when using dma for cdrom drive

From: Mathieu Allard
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 05:44:55 EST

I have an MSIDDR motherboard, model k7t266 pro2 ver. 2.0.

When I enable dma for my cdrom drive using hdparm /dev/hdc, dma is turned on.

However, when I try and access the drive, my computer crashes.

In a console this is the text that I see :

dma timeout error : status=0x50 {Drive Ready SeekComplete}
ide-scsi : abort called for 1629
bad : scheduling while atomic !
call trace :
******( a whole bunch of information is here)

and then something like hdc dma reset complete.

I have tested this with a different cdrom drive and a different ide cable and
the same thing happens.
The cdrom is the only device on the ide chain.

I am running a vanilla linux kernel 2.6.1 and am using the via chipset driver.
Debian unstable is my distribution.

I have searched google to no avail.

I have looked at various bios options but none seem interesting.

Any help would be appreciated with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Mathieu