Re: Where is sparse?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 01:20:05 EST

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Rui Saraiva wrote:

> Where is the sparse source? (AKA TSCT - The Silly C Tokenizer) There was
> the BK repository at bk://kernel.bkbits.net/torvalds/sparse, now
> unavailable and the ml owner-linux-sparse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx seems dead.

The old repostitory got killed when bkbits.net went away. There's a new
repo at

http://sparse.bkbits.net/sparse

but I don't know why the mailing list would have gone.

> There is other BK rep at bk://linux-dj.bkbits.net/sparse but it is an old
> version.

It may well be up-to-date: without anybody interested enough to do a
back-end, I had very little incentive to improve the front-end further.
Right now all the warning messages for the kernel should be largely valid,
but the networking code re-uses some structures for both user pointers and
kernel pointers (which Davem agreed was bad and fixable, but wasn't done
in time for 2.6.x), so we can't get rid of the user pointer accesses
there..

Linus