Re: Lindent fixed to match reality

From: David Weinehall
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 18:44:46 EST

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 03:17:24PM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:

[snip]
> No, you're building a straw man. Everyone knows that you should always use
> the parens on sizeof(). Just because you CAN leave them out SOMETIMES does
> not mean you SHOULD.

"Everyone" also sprinkles far too many parenthesis for their own code,
just to be sure. I've seen code such as

a = b * c + 1;

written as

a = ((b * c) + 1);

The question is rather, why should you insert superfluous parenthesis
when they do no semantic difference, and do not improve readability in
any way? If you get paid by the byte, then sure, but I don't, so I
won't...

[snip]

As mentioned earlier, if mister divine Pee-sprinkler decides that the
CodingStyle for 2.6 should be without the space for sizeof/typeof, then
I'll follow the leader when/if sending patches to the 2.6 kernel.
2.0 will still have the spaces in place, though.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
/) David Weinehall <tao@xxxxxxxxxx> /) Northern lights wander (\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //