Re: [RFC/PATCH, 1/4] readX_check() performance evaluation

From: David Mosberger
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 16:10:53 EST

>>>>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:16:52 +0100 ("CET), Matthias Fouquet-Lapar <mfl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Matthias> We have done a rather large study with DIMMs that had SBEs
Matthias> I should have been more precice. We used field returned
Matthias> parts which had reported SBEs and had been exchanged in
Matthias> the field. Our goal was to see if any of these parts
Matthias> "de-generate" over time. Most of these parts had hard
Matthias> single bit failures in one or more locations.

Ah, that's more interesting, agreed.

Matthias> As I said, we didn't find evidence that even hard SBEs
Matthias> turn into a multiple bit error.

But you were changing the operating environment of the chip, so I
wouldn't draw too strong of a conclusion. Or was the reason for the
hard SBEs known and it was determined that the operating environment
was not a factor in triggering them?

--david