Re: PATCH - NGROUPS 2.6.2rc2 + fixups

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 14:45:10 EST

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Tim Hockin wrote:

> What think?

I still don't understand the complexity.

Why the list of pages? Is there really any valid use for this that could
overflow a simple "kmalloc()"? How many groups do people really really
need?

I just find it wrong to go from 32 to millions. And a few thousand can
trivially be handled by a normal "kmalloc()".

Basically, I find overdesign physically nauseating. This is less so than
the original stuff, but I'm still finding myself asking "Why?".

Linus