Re: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 11:56:58 EST

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

With the press Linux is getting from the IBM/Linux advertisements
for the US football games, etc., methinks it won't be long before
NVidia and all the rest go open-source, just to jump onto that
band-wagon. They just need a smart way to protect their intellectual
property.

Indeed! And this may make the whole idea of an open-arch GPU a pipe-dream.

Honestly, we don't _need_ an open-arch GPU. We just need something whose register set is fully publically documented.

But an open-arch GPU would be NEAT, though. :)

Hmmm... If I understand this right, one of the reasons nVidia doesn't release open source drivers is that they don't own all of the IP in their cores. I wonder what that IP is and if the open-source community couldn't collaborate to produce LGPL-like replacements.