Re: 2.2 kernel and ext3 filesystems

From: Chuck Campbell
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 16:00:02 EST

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 08:27:17PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> There were also some bug fixes that I'm pretty sure were never
> backported into the 2.2 tree....

I may be being stung by this as we speak.

I mounted this ext3 filesystem as ext2 on my 2.2.16 kernel system. I made
some changes to some files (simple edits), and now when I reboot the box in
2.2.16, I get the following:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb2,
or too many mounted filesystems

in /var/log/messages I see:
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
EXT2-fs: ide0(3,66): couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features.

I'm reticent to run any e2fsck as old as 2.2.16 kernel version against
this filesystem, in fear of damaging it. Is this a sane thing to consider,
or do I need to put this disk back into a more recent box and try to mount it/
fsck it there?

Alternatively, where might I dig up an ext3 patch against linux-2.2.x, so
I can build a kernel that will support this? I assume I would need file
utilities that support it as well?

thanks,
-chuck