Re: 2.6.1 dual xeon

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 04:20:51 EST

Alexander Nyberg wrote:

But I can't see a reason for not dividing the different interrupt on
different cpu's and letting them stay put.

You want to spread the load, but that is hard to do without knowing
which interrupt sources are heavy and which are light.
Dividing them once might end up with keyboard & mouse interrupts
on one cpu and network+disk on another. This is clearly imbalanced.

An irq balancing utility will fix this, by balancing based
on interrupt count.

Maybe if you keep all
interrupts on the same cpu the cache on the other ones will not have to
be flushed often, which would be a good thing.

How would it be to maybe remove all interrupts from a cpu (except
between cpu's) and have a few cpu's merely working with data and one "in
control". Bad idea I guess as I haven't seen any such work.

Makes sense only if the amounts of interrupt work and other work matches
the division you make.

Helge Hafting