Re: [Jfs-discussion] md raid + jfs + jfs_fsck

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 16:48:26 EST

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 15:53, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 02:43:05PM -0600, Dave Kleikamp wrote:
>> My guess is that software raid is stealing a few blocks from the
>> end of the partition,
>
>Yes, it does. But JFS should get the right size from the gendisk
> anyway. Or did you create the raid with the filesystem already
> existant? While that appears to work for a non-full ext2/ext3
> filesystem it's not something you should do because it makes the
> filesystem internal bookkeeping wrong and you'll run into trouble
> with any filesystem sooner or later.

I wonder if this discussion has anything to do with what we perceive
as an excruciatingly long resync time? Should the array be
reformatted after startup with a new mkreiserfs in the event thats
what we are running on a raid5?

If it exists, please point me to a good, maybe better than that which
comes with mdtools, discussion, web site or whatever please.

>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: