Re: ext3 on raid5 failure

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 14:09:57 EST

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:22:25AM +0100, Jan Dittmer wrote:

> Okay, I fscked all filesystems in single user mode, thereby fscked up my
> root filesystem, though I didn't even check it - so I restored it from
> backup (grub wouldn't even load anymore).

What messages were printed by e2fsck while it was running --- and was
all of the filesystems unmounted, excepted for the root filesystem,
which should have been mounted read-only?

> After 2 days in my freshly setup debian (2.6.1-bk6), same error. But
> this time at least I know it's because I tried to delete those files in
> the lost+found directory...

How did you come to that conclusion?

> So, how do I delete these and why did fsck fail? It's pretty annoying to
> reboot because of this. It would be nice to just being able to
> remount,rw the partition.

How did fsck fail? Without a transcript of the fsck output, it's hard
to say exactly what happened here.

An output of dumpe2fs of the filesystem in question would also be useful.

- Ted