Re: [uPATCH] refuse plain ufs mount

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 01:17:02 EST

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 Andries.Brouwer@xxxxxx wrote:

> Funny how we alternate - when I choose the pure, theoretical point of view
> you prefer practice, when I prefer practice you become pure.

Heh.

I'm actually usually very easy to predict:

- when it comes to "core technology" bugs, I'd much rather fix them
_right_. To the point where I prefer to not fix them at all if the fix
is only hiding the real bug. Then I'd rather leave it as a known bug
and hope the _real_ fix comes in.

- but when it comes to things that are more about "usability", I tend to
try to take the very practical approach. So we'll disagree on things
like "should the kernel autodetect", because I think that's a usability
issue, and consider that it should be as easy for users as possible.

The reiserfs/ufs issue to me is about "usability", not "core technology".
As such, to me it falls under the "practical" heading, and the solution
should be the pragmatic trivial "just test reiserfs first" kind of silly
thing.

Linus