Synaptics problems with kernel 2.6.x

From: Richard Kuryk
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 21:43:59 EST

I have tried compiling two different kernel versions 2.6.1-mm5 and
2.6.2_rc1-love1 and both produce errors like:

Synaptics driver lost sync at byte X
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - timeout
Synaptics driver resynced.

My machine is a :

Compaq presario 1692 - AMD k6-2 433mhz
ALi Corp. M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge

Output from dmesg:

Intel ISA PCIC probe: not found.
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
Failed to disable AUX port, but continuing anyway... Is this a SiS?
If AUX port is really absent please use the 'i8042.noaux' option.
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
Firmware: 4.6
Sensor: 15
new absolute packet format
Touchpad has extended capability bits
-> four buttons
-> multifinger detection
-> palm detection
input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

I have been reading prior messages so I know there are issues with power
management and ACPI and I have tried them on/off it doesn't really
help. I have also tried enabled the HPET Timer but I don't think my
machine has one. So far I have not been able to use X windows without
the mouse jumping every time I try and use the pad. 2.6.1-mm5 produced
a tad better results but still unusable.

I hope I included all the important info, but if you need additional
details please let me know what you need. Please CC me.

Thanks,

Rich