Re: New NUMA scheduler and hotplug CPU

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 18:44:18 EST

Martin J. Bligh wrote:

Well isn't it a bad idea to have cpus in the data that are offline?
It'll throw off all your balancing calculations, won't it? You seemed
to be careful to do things like divide the total load on the node by
the number of CPUs on the node, and that'll get totally borked if you
have fake CPUs in there.

I think it mostly does a good job at making sure to only take
online cpus into account. If there are places where it doesn't
then it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

It'd make the code a damned sight simpler and cleaner if you dropped
all that stuff, and updated the structures when you hotplugged a CPU,
which is really the only sensible way to do it anyway ...

For instance, if I remove cpu X, then bring back a new CPU on another node
(or in another HT sibling pair) as CPU X, then you'll need to update all
that stuff anyway. CPUs aren't fixed position in that map - the ordering
handed out is arbitrary.

To me, it'd make more sense to add the CPUs to the scheduler structures
as they get brought online. I can also imagine machines where you have
a massive (infinite?) variety of possible CPUs that could appear - like an NUMA box where you could just plug arbitrary numbers of new
nodes in as you wanted.

I guess so, but you'd still need NR_CPUS to be >= that arbitrary
number.

Yup ... but you don't have to enumerate all possible positions that way.
See Linus' arguement re dynamic device numbers and ISCSI disks, etc.
Same thing applies.

Well this would be the problem. I guess its quite possible that
one doesn't know the topology of newly added CPUs before hand.

Well OK, this would require a per architecture function to handle
CPU hotplug. It could possibly just default to arch_init_sched_domains,
and just completely reinitialise everything which would be the simplest.

Yeah, it's not trivially simple. But then neither is the rest of CPU hotplug, to do it right ;-) Requiring CPU hotplug callback hooks does seem to be the right way to interface with the sched code though ...

OK you've convinced me.