Re: [patch] Re: Kernels > 2.6.1-mm3 do not boot. - SOLVED

From: Eric
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 14:28:05 EST

On Monday 26 January 2004 00:00, Andrew Morton wrote:
> "John Stoffel" <stoffel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sure, the darn thing wouldn't boot, it kept Oopsing with the
> > test_wp_bit oops (that I just posted more details about).
>
> Does this fix the test_wp_bit oops?

Yes, it fixes my test_wp_bit oops. But NOW, when booting 2.6.2-rc1-mm3 (which
i pathed removing -funit-at-a-time and the wp_but oops patch) I get an oops
derefrencing null pointer in blkdev_reread_part.

I booted normal and with vga=ask acpi=off
Here is a close approxamation of what I wrote down by hand.

raid1: raid set md1 active..(blah blah)
Unable to handle null dereference at virtual address 0000008c025b893
*pde = 00000000
oops = 0000 [#1]
PREEMPT SMP
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060 Not Tainted VLI
EIP is at blkdev_reread_part+0x13/0x80

Trace
[<c025bdfe>] blkdev_ioctl+0x30e/0x3b5
[<co17f426>] wake_up_inode+0x6/0x30 (might be 0xb.. cant read my writing)
[<co1bb696>] io_ctl_by_bdev+0x26/0x40
[<c0307e53>] do_md_run+0x493/0x5c0
.....trace continues about 20-30 functions

Let me know if you need more (or more accurate) debugging info. I am very
sorry if I have copied something down incorrectly. If I have, I guess its a
great time to learn how to set a up serial console :)