Re: Is there a way to keep the 2.6 kjournald from writing to idledisks? (to allow spin-downs)

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 05:44:32 EST

Lutz Vieweg wrote:

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 19:29, Lutz Vieweg wrote:

I run a server that usually doesn't have to do anything on the local filesystems,
it just needs to answer some requests and perform some computations in RAM.

So I use the "hdparm -S 123" parameter setting to keep the (IDE) system disk from
spinning unneccessarily.

Alas, since an upgrade to kernel 2.6 and ext3 filesystem, I cannot find a way to
let the harddisk spin down - I found out that "kjournald" writes a few blocks every
few seconds.

As I wouldn't like to downgrade to ext2: Is there any way to keep the 2.6 kjournald
from writing to idle disks?

I cannot see a good reason why kjournald would write when there are no dirty buffers -
but still it does.

Have you tried playing with the laptop-mode patch? It's already in the
-mm kernel tree from Andrew Morton. I've been playing with it a little
(just a few minutes) and seems keep the disks spun down for some time.

This "laptop-mode" patch would make things far worse than they're now: Spinning
up the disk about every 10min would reduce their lifetime significantly instead
of extending it.

It's not a laptop, but a server with an ordinary 3.5" harddisk I'm speaking about,
my goal is not saving power, but spinning down a harddisk that does not need to
spin up the whole day long.

What I'm questioning is whether there's a need to write to idle disks at all -
does anybody know why kjournald writes data even if there is nothing to commit at all?

Because you aren't using the noatime option?