Re: Problem with module-init-tools

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 01:11:55 EST

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:29:07 +0100
"J.A. Magallon" <jamagallon@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> I have a problem with modprobe, 2.6.2-rc1-mm2, and agpgart.
>
> With 2.4, I had this setup to have agpgart loaded:
>
> alias char-major-226 agpgart

The new style is "alias char-major-226-* agpgart", but that should still
work in 2.6.2-rc1.

> With 2.6 and the same setup, that module is loaded. But as agpgart backend is
> now split, I need to load also intel-agp.ko. I read manuals, and corrected my
> modprobe.conf this way:
>
> install agpgart /sbin/modprobe intel-agp; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install agpgart;

Yes. intel-agp presumably depends on agpgart? If so,
(1) You can just alias char-major-226 intel-agp
(2) There was a bug some older module-init-tools versions, have you tried
3.0-pre7?

Thanks!
Rusty.
--
there are those who do and those who hang on and you don't see too
many doers quoting their contemporaries. -- Larry McVoy