Re: Unneeded Code Found??

From: Randy Appleton
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 16:57:04 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:

Randy Appleton wrote:

Nick Piggin wrote:

Yes it gets used.

I think its a lot more common with direct io and when you have lots of
processes.

I'm not arguing, but how do you know this? I'm trying to convince myself that the code is used, and at least on my system
a few days of general use, followed by heavy parallel compiles, doesn't use the code even once.

I have not tested direct I/O. Otherwise it looks unused.

Because I have seen it - I have instrumented it.

Your usage patterns are pretty tame actually. I remember having 100 processes
randomly reading from the same part of the disk was one of my test cases.
You need direct IO otherwise everything ends up in pagecache.

I haven't seen workloads where it gets used a lot, but that doesn't mean they
don't exist, and I've never seen the code cause any problems, so there is no
need to make any trade offs by removing it.

O.K. That's convincing. Thanks for the time.