Re: Kernels > 2.6.1-mm3 do not boot.

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 09:36:07 EST

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 02:52:58PM +0100, Fabio Coatti wrote:
> Alle Sunday 25 January 2004 02:02, Adrian Bunk ha scritto:
>

> > Please check exactly between which two kernel versions the problem
> > first appeared.
> >
> > Please send the .config of the last kernel that worked for you.
>
> Confirmed here also...
> the latest working kernel is 2.6.1-mm3; the first non working is 2.6.1-mm4
> The symptom is that the booting sequence stops right after "Uncompressing..".
> I've cofnigured -mm4 using .config and "make oldconfig", answering when
> needed.
> The only relevant changed config options are related to CPU, but I haven't
> looked in configure files.
> I've attached both .config (working-mm3/not working 2.6.2-rc1-mm3).
> I'm now trying to compile 2.6.2-rc1-mm3, but the problem is here from
> 2.6.1-mm4 (not rc).
> I've also tried several choices for CPU (386->P4), without any change.
> The system is a P4/HT, chipset i875p, 1Gb ram
> If more information/test are needed, just let me know.

I sent the following to Eric:

<-- snip -->

After diffing two of your .config's, I don't see how the CPU selection
options might have caused this.

I'm sorry that I don't have a real idea where to search for the
problems, only a few thoughts how to get nearer to finding it:

Please try 2.6.2-rc1 (without any -mm patch).

If this kernel works, please try -mm4 with disabled SMP support and
support for the Athlon (and no other CPUs).
If you compile with
make V=1
the kernel build is more verbose. If this kernel doesn't boot, please
send the complete gcc call for the compilation of a file (it doesn't
matter which file, e.g. one under fs/).

<-- snip -->

The same is true for your .config's, so i you have some spare time these
tests would be interesting.

TIA
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.