Re: Request: I/O request recording

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 19:08:54 EST

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:53:44 PST, Davide Libenzi said:

> > Anyway, the code's ancient but might provide some ideas:
> >
> > http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/fboot.tar.gz
>
> Warning. I don't know if they do have a patent for this, but MS does this
> starting from XP (look inside %WINDIR%\PreFetch). It is both boot and app
> based.

Hmm.. prior art time. ;)

IBM's OS/VS1 and MVS operating systems had the 'link pack area', where
frequently loaded modules were loaded at system startup. And there were
numerous 3rd party optimizers that would analyze the LOAD SVC patterns on your
system and produce a list of which modules should be pre-loaded in order to get
the most bang for the buck (even a *large* 370/168 or 303x processor might be
able to spare a megabyte tops, so optimizing it was important, and sites would
spend $5K on software that would optimize the memory usage and save them a
memory upgrade at $40K a meg...

This was mid-70s, so definitely pre-XP.