RE: SiI2112 + Seagate + nFroce2: no DMA!

From: Emmanuel Hislen
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 04:29:49 EST

Hi Hugo,

I have re-installed my machine with Fedora Core 1 (thinking a newer version
than RH9 would make the jump to 2.4.24 or 2.6 easier), and this fixed the
DMA issue :-)

Now my SATA drive is running stable in UDMA6.

However, performance is still way below expectations.

I got a huge improvement: my disc read speed (hdparm -t) went from 1.3 to 25
MB/sec.
This is still slower than my PATA drive on my 3 years old AMD 900 PC running
Redhat 9.0 (around 35 MB/sec).

Could you please let me know what you are getting so I know what to expect?

My next step is to try 2.4.24 or 2.6.1 as you suggested, but googling around
a little bit before I do so I found out a few worrying things:

- people have reported a drop in performance on SATA in some 2.6 based
kernel (2.6.0-test9), with reported speeds around 20MB/sec. Apparently there
is no more way to tune max_kb_per_req in 2.6??
- I have found reports that both ide and libdata libraries are limiting
max_kb_per_req to 15 Kb specifically for Seagate drives. So It looks like I
can't even set it to 128 (I did not even try as I saw reports of memory
corruption).

So basically since you've got it to work I'd like to know:

* what speed you get, and what is the RPM of your Seagate
* what is your max_kb_per_req setting (I have 15K)
* what is your accoustic management setting (I have 0)

I could not fix the time on linux so I am sending this mail from WinXP (just
kidding I lost my mails on the linux machine after re-installing :-).

Thanks,

Emmanuel.