Re: gcc 2.95.3

From: Stef van der Made
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 18:20:06 EST

Matthew Reppert wrote:

snip

Many people have been using gcc-3.2 or later to build kernels, and I
haven't really heard of any problems with this, at least on i386. I
personally have used 3.2.2 and 3.3.2 (well, with Debian's patches) and
haven't had any weirdness with 2.6 or 2.4. ISTR there being arches that
need 3.x to compile, but I could be mistaken.

2.95.3 is definitely the *oldest* compiler you'd want to use, and pretty
much skip between that and 3.2.

Matt

Same here. I've been using gcc3.2.0 and beyond currently 3.3.2 since the day they were released and never had any big issues. I would recomend using gcc 3.3.2 since it improves performance when using optimizations quite a bit as far as I can remember the statistics.

Stef