Re: Nvidia drivers and 2.6.x kernel

From: Charles Shannon Hendrix
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 19:31:39 EST

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 @ 12:12 +0000, Kieran said:

> How strange. I run slack 9.1 and 2.6.1, just grabbed the 4496
> pre-patched file from http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/ and installed it
> as I would on 2.4. Works a charm.

How's the performance?

I have found the 4496 and 5328 drivers lowered my performance.

5328 is supposed to be faster mip-mapping and faster when running with
vertical blank sync, but I didn't see it myself. It also caused quite a
few sound artifacts from my Live! sound card.

Anyone done a driver-by-driver benchmark?

I got tired of it, but here's the performance order on my system from
fastest to slowest:

4620
3xxx (last stable 3xxx driver)
4496
5328

Mostly what I look for are not benchmark numbers, but notable hesitation
in programs and interactive response, and side effects like bad sound
artifacts.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza____________________s h a n n o n@wido !SPAM maker.com