Re: List 'linux-dvb' closed to public posts

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 08:29:58 EST

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:08:51PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> Umm, I don't think that's entirely correct. There's a problem in the
> UK and EU with 100% open mailing lists - it's called data protection,
> where the owner of their personal data has certain rights. I believe
> that it is questionable whether such open lists can be run in the EU,
> or even by EU individuals.
>
> There appears to be two ways around this problem:

There is a third, actually:

3. Abandon running mailing lists in the E.U., and let them be run in
the other countries that don't have these sorts of insane laws.

"The Net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it."

- Ted

P.S. Not that I think that concept of data protection is a bad thing,
but if it prevents open mailing lists --- if posting to a list isn't
considered an implicit permission to redistribute the mail and have it
be archived --- something is badly, badly, badly wrong.