Re: 2.6.1-mm5 versus gcc 3.5 snapshot

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 23:54:04 EST

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

> Is the Fedora GCC 3.5 snapshot on crack, or is this a yet-unfixed not-ready-for 3.5?
>
> gcc-ssa (GCC) 3.5-tree-ssa 20040115 (Fedora Core Rawhide 3.5ssa-108)
>
> produces tons of these:
>
> include/asm/rwsem.h: In function `__down_read_trylock':
> include/asm/rwsem.h:126: warning: read-write constraint does not allow a register

To me that says "compiler on crack". I don't see why a register couldn't
be rw. After all, it clearly can be read, and written to, and gcc does
explicitly mention the '&' modifier in the documentation.

But maybe Richard has some input on what has happened, and can explain the
compiler side of it.. Richard?

Linus