Re: [patch] v4l-05 add infrared remote support

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 22:31:30 EST

In message <20040121095935.GA31624@xxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
> > This provides simple forwards compat for 2.4. It doesn't do arrays or
> > strings, but they can be added if required (this will cover the easy
> > 90%).
>
> At least the array stuff I'm using in my drivers, to handle the
> "multiple tv cards in one box" case, like this:
>
> static unsigned int card[] = {[0 ... (SAA7134_MAXBOARDS - 1)] = UNSET };
> MODULE_PARM(card,"1-" __stringify(SAA7134_MAXBOARDS) "i");
> MODULE_PARM_DESC(card,"card type");
>
> So having that in 2.4 too would be nice.

Unfortunately the module_param_array() macro is not really fungible
into the old MODULE_PARM() macro: in particular the array size is now
implicit.

I could introduce another macro which could be #defined to both, but
for the moment I thought I'd see we get without one.

> I have also two more questions: How can I specify default values != 0
> for insmod options using the new macros?

Not sure I understand? You'd presumably do it like so:

int foo = 7;
MODULE_PARM(foo, "i"); / module_param(foo, int, 0600)

> How specify help/description
> texts? Using the MODULE_PARM_DESC() macro or is there something new too?

I didn't change it. I thought about it, but I think that would just
be neatening for the sake of neatening, which I dislike.

Cheers,
Rusty.