Re: [OT] Redundancy eliminating file systems, breaking MD5, donating money to OSDL

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 21:38:51 EST

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> *2: I had a direcory of about 1,5 Million images and "md5sum"med them to
> eliminate doubles. The Log-file, at one point, had the same md5sum as
> one of the pictures.

Something similar happened to me once. Two different files with the
same result from md5sum.

When I ran md5sum again, it still reported the same results.

Then when I flushed the page cache and ran it again, it reported
different results.

I concluded it was a rare page cache corruption heisenbug. Scary.

-- Jamie