Re: [OT] Confirmation Spam Blocking was: List 'linux-dvb' closed to public posts

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 17:51:52 EST

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:30:27PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> What do you think about individual email (non-list) using a confirmation
> based spam blocking system.
>
> I currently use spamassassin to filter my messages, but I saw recently a
> project that asks you to reply to a confirmation message if you're not
> already on the white-list.
>
> I'm not sure how acceptable it would be, and this is a little OT, but I'm
> wondering if I should spend the time testing that for my corp.

I'm not a big fan of this solution, but it's definitely a better
solution than a closed list. The acceptance depends on whether the group
of people you want emails from accepts it (and if you subscribe to a
mailing list be sure to exclude it from this mechanism or the mailing
list administrator will immediately kick you from the list).

And be aware that it doesn't help against all spam - spammers know how
to fake headers...

> Mike

cu
Adrian