Re: CPU Hotplug: Hotplug Script And SIGPWR

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 02:37:39 EST

Tim Hockin wrote:

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:14:03PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

Or doesn't anybody care to think about hoplug scripts failing?
(serious question)

If hotplug scripts are failing, you're in really deep trouble. I can't find
a single case where a hotplug script failing would not indicate some other
larger failure.

sigh. threads-max, pid_max, ulimit, -ENOMEM, oom.

In my opinion, you can be in fine shape after one of the above happening,
and if limits _are_ in place, its reasonable to expect they're there because
they might get reached in rare cases.

I'd rather not add something that, by design can hang any number of processes
including the entire system if a hotplug script fails. Thats just my honest
opinion, I know its rare enough it probably would never happen to anyone.

Sorry I keep repeating this, its not my call and its never going to affect
me so I'll shut up now ;)