Re: Awful NFS performance with attached test program

From: Jan Dittmer
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 15:32:55 EST

jlnance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 04:53:46PM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:

So you are surprised that writing the same dataset by putting one
integer onto each kernel page takes much more time than placing the
entire dataset onto just a few kernel pages? 'cos I'm not...

I must admit that I am. I could see that it would take somewhat longer
because a logicial way for the kernel to implement this would be as a
read-modify-write operation. So a 2X slowdown would not supprise me.
But the slowdown is more than 10X, and that does.

Also, for what its worth, Solaris performs like this:

flame> ./a.out Creating file: 3.886 seconds
Updating file: 1.259 seconds

While Linux performs like this:

jesse> ./a.out
Creating file: 43.042 seconds
Updating file: 555.796 seconds

My Client (2.6.1-mm2) against my server (2.6.1-bk6) is significantly faster:

./nfstest
Creating file: 11.607 seconds
Updating file: 35.885 seconds

Note the increase of the factor 3 only instead of 10.
nfs mount options: rw,hard,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=30,retrans=10,tcp

Thanks,

Jan