Re: 2.6.1-mm5 dies booting, possibly network related

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 13:57:41 EST

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:23:02 PST, Andrew Morton said:

> So yes, whatever compiler you are using, turn off CONFIG_REGPARM - it is
> still very experimental.
>
> (And of dubious value - it only saved me 0.6% of program text).

I wonder if this is because the x86 architecture is relatively
register-starved, and as a result, we pass the parameters in registers, but the
first thing the function has to do is store half of them on the stack so it has
enough free registers to work with. If this is the case then regparm(1) or
regparm(2) may do better/worse by changing how much register pressure the
function starts off with.