Re: ALSA vs. OSS

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 09:29:56 EST

At Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:17:13 +0200,
Markus Hästbacka wrote:

> [1 <text/plain; iso-8859-15 (quoted-printable)>]
> On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 16:07, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > <..snip..>
> > what kernel messages did you get?
> >
> No messages anywhere, it just doesn't let me open two sound sources at
> the same time. (the second app freezes without any messages)

then it's a different problem.

sb live has a single capture (record) device although it can play
multiple streams at the same time. when both apps try to open
fullduplex, the later one is blocked, because the capture device is
already occupied.
if it's the case, it is not a bug but the correct POSIX behavior.

as a workaround, try to add the following to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias snd-pcm-oss nonblock_open=1

this will set the OSS PCM devices as non-blocking.

ciao,

Takashi