Re: Help port swsusp to ppc.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 06:29:14 EST

> I'm not passing device information, but devices *do* have internal
> state. I quiesce them before booting new kernel, but there's probably
> more than one way to quiesce devices...

Not that many. You don't quite know in what state they are when
the BIOS calls you neither in most cases :) Nor when waking up
from BIOS-managed state.... It's usually safe if they just don't
bust master and are idle.

> No, I really do not want to make things more complicated in 2.6. And
> you should not want to complicate it, too.

I will not impose that limitation on a ppc implementation. I don't
even want to load the resume image from the boot kernel, it's much more
easier to load it from the bootloader for me anyway. And the copy routine
is just a tricky bit of asm, not even _that_ tricky I'd say (well, I don't
do x86 asm, but I've certainly had to deal with more tricky stuffs on
ppc so far).

Ben.