Re: CPU Hotplug: Hotplug Script And SIGPWR

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 02:46:47 EST

Tim Hockin wrote:

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:11:49PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

I thought hotplug is allowed to fail? Thus you can have a hung system.
Or what if the hotplug script itself becomes TASK_UNRUNNABLE? What if the
process needs a guaranteed scheduling latency?

I guess a hotplug script MAY fail. I don't think it's a good idea to make
your CPU hotplug script fail. May and Misght are different. It's up to the
implementor whether the script can get into a failure condition.

Sorry bad wording. The script may fail to be executed.

The hotplug script can only become unrunnable if you yank out all the CPUs
on the system. I'd assume it would have an affinity of 0xffffffff.

OK I guess thats not such a valid concern

What if <which> process needs guaranteed scheduling latency? Do we really
_guarantee_ scheduling latency *anywhere*?

We do guarantee that a realtime task won't be blocked waiting for
a hotplug script to fault in and start it up again (which may not
happen). Not sure how important this issue is.