Re: CPU Hotplug: Hotplug Script And SIGPWR

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 02:24:18 EST

Tim Hockin wrote:

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 05:43:59PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

I think the sanest thing for a CPU removal is to migrate everything off the
processor in question, move unrunnable tasks into TASK_UNRUNNABLE state,
then notify /sbin/hotplug. The hotplug script can then find and handle the
unrunnable tasks. No SIGPWR grossness needed.

Code against 2.4 at http://www.hockin.org/~thockin/procstate - it was
heavily tested and I *think* it is all correct (for that kernel snapshot).

Seems less robust and more ad hoc than SIGPWR, however.

Disagree. SIGPWR will kill any process that doesn't catch it. That's
policy. It seems more robust to let the hotplug script decide what to do.
If it wants to kill each unrunnable task with SIGPWR, it can. But if it
wants to let them live, it can.

I thought hotplug is allowed to fail? Thus you can have a hung system.
Or what if the hotplug script itself becomes TASK_UNRUNNABLE? What if the
process needs a guaranteed scheduling latency?

(I dropped lhcs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx because its moderated)