Re: page allocation failure

From: Nathan Scott
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 01:03:35 EST

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:38:37PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > It has happened three times now and on all occasions, I was untarring a
> > huge file on an XFS partition. I assume the problem is something to do
> > with VM. The machine has 1GB of RAM which should be plenty. For the
> You probably should apply this patch to tell us where the allocation
> failures are coming from. Make sure that CONFIG_KALLSYMS is enabled in
> kernel config.

We do have known issues in XFS on 2.6 with handling certain VM
allocation failures -- maybe hitting that here. Christoph has
been looking at making XFS do a better job there; __GFP_NOFAIL
allocations failing seem to be the worst issue for us - on the
occasions I've hit that though, its always immediately fatal.

cheers.

--
Nathan