Re: DMA timeout error and then kernel halted

From: Andreas Steinmetz
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 13:14:24 EST

Jan Mynarik wrote:
Hi,

I have DMA problems with HPT366 on BP6 (newest BIOS version RU incl.
1.28 BIOS for HPT366) and Seagate's 80 GB disk (please see exact model
numbers in attached dmesg).

It's reproducible (with or without SMP, various kernel versions,
overclocking or not, ACPI on and off) on 2.4.22 and 2.6.0 (test9, test11
and vanilla) and 2.6.1-rc3. On 2.4 kernel it doesn't halt kernel.

I do have similar problems with a HPT302 and WD2500JB disks on a Tyan S2885 (Dual Opteron 246). What does help me is to disable the IO-APICs at boot time using "noapic".

Thus I don't believe this to be a disk/mobo problem but probably a driver problem.
--
Andreas Steinmetz