Re: Serial ATA (SATA) for Linux status report

From: Craig Bradney
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 15:34:44 EST

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 19:00, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Witold Krecicki wrote:
> > Dnia Wednesday 03 of December 2003 21:44, Jeff Garzik napisał:
> >
> >>Editor's preface: This is clearly a first draft, only covering the
> >>basics. In order for this document to be effective, I request that
> >>users and developers send me (or post) their SATA driver questions and
> >>issues. I will do my best to address them here.
> >>

> >>Serial ATA (SATA) for Linux
> >>status report
> >>Dec 3, 2003
> >
> > What about SMART capabilities? with sii3112 I had it, but with libata I cannot
> > get any informations :/
>

> Currently do not support random userland programs throwing random ATA
> commands at us... so no SMART support at present :) It's coming, though.

On the note of SATA interfaced drives, is there a way to power them
down?

I have recently attached my spare PATA drive with a converter and use it
just for backups (mount, rsync, umount). I have these configured through
SCSI (/dev/sda) with the 3112 2.6.1 support. hdparm comlains the drive
is SCSI... is there a similar command to power it down?

thanks
Craig