RE: License question

From: David Schwartz
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 17:07:38 EST

> > Is it possile to include in the kernel distro some code with this
> > BSD-style license ?

> Let me see

Yes, in general. No, not this license.

> > - Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> > notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers.

Sorry, that's an "additional restriction" not permitted under the GPL.

> > - Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> > notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers in the
> > documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

I believe this is an additional restriction as well.

> Mmmm... I think yes. Code in kernel must be licensed GPL. Above allow
> sublicense so ok

They allow sublicensing, but the sublicense can't remove the additional restriction. See section 6 of the GPL.

To make this license GPL compatible, the two restrictions above would have to be modified to be identical to, or a proper subset of, section 2 clauses b and c of the GPL.

DS